Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Let us see your characters and plot progression

I love Doctor Who, but is has been boring lately (Except for last night's episode, which I loved!!!) and lately I've been thinking about why. The answer comes down to two things:

  1. A lack of character development.
  2. A lack of plot progression.
Let's take an in depth look at those shall we (And if you're not a whovian, stick around! This applies to everyone!)
  • A lack of character development.
 If we aren't given a reason to care, then guess what? People won't care! In my current book, I have a bit of an antagonist in that I've put her there solely to cause problems for the MC. BUT I want people to feel for her, so I've given her motivations deep down, that once the reader sees them will make them hopefully feel... Something for her. Hopefully pity. If, however, I keep her forever in a state of "OMG, this character is so mean, I hate her." Then I'll never get to challenge how the reader feels about her, which is what I want.
  • A lack of progression in the plot.
If your story doesn't move forward, people will get bored. I mean, how long do you stick with a book if you get bored? For me, less than twenty pages. That means you have better keep the plot moving, and FAST. If you slow it down, you had better have a good reason. Like character development for example. :)

I mean, in the case of Doctor Who, I get the feeling they're slowing down character/plot progression so they can withhold the good stuff for the series/season finale and/or the 50th anniversary. 

But they're only limiting themselves as writers. What they SHOULD  be doing is revealing the good stuff now and giving us MORE good stuff... See Downton Abbey for an example of this. 

Have a great day guys. 

2 comments:

  1. Great points. I love Who, too, and it's been hard to let go of the whole-season-telling-a-single-story deal lately. :) But I think the 50th may just be grand because of it!

    And I'm counting down to Allegiant, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachelle!

      I know! I miss the days of two-parter episodes! :( But I agree, I think the 50th is going to be amazing!

      :D I'm excited to see how Roth wraps things up!

      Delete